mariecell

mariecell
before the accident on her yellow blouse

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

inspirational message to the Rotary graduates


mariecell at the stage

9TH COMMENCEMENT EXERCISE
Rotary Foundation Computer Skills Training Center for PWD
April 29, 2011
Lispher Inn- Matina - Function Room E
Mariecell M. Fornis

Good afternoon everyone!

In my younger years, I’ve always been dreaming of having a successful career and a happy family of my own. I often imagine myself working in a very prestigious company, clicking my work all the way in front of a computer, wearing an office suit – a skirt, blouse and blazer. It’s an ecstasy for me to think about carrying a laptop of my own, walking with my high heeled shoes, putting make-ups on and driving my own car going to the office, all these in my dreams.

The horrible night of February 16, has vanished my dreams in a twinkling of an eye. My family and I met a vehicular accident that has lost my eyesight. I was then a graduating college student with the degree in Bachelor in Computer Technology of the University of Southeastern Philippines. Since then, my life has never been the same, it made a total twist. It’s like facing through a dark opaque glass and I thought my dreams would never come anymore to a reality.

I never give up. I never stop dreaming. I still keep on believing that somehow a brighter future, in the dark moments of my life, is waiting for me. Most importantly, my faith and trust in God is still intact.

When a door is closed, another one is opened. I lost my eyes but I’ve met lots of friends. The Rotary Foundation Computer Skills Training Center is one of the instrumental organizations, which has nurtured me to be a more productive and functional being. Like you, I’m also a graduate from this institution. The Center honed my skills and encouraged me to stand strong. As long as I live, my family and I are forever grateful to this Institution, to Sir Darling, Tatay Jun Boromeo and Tito Axel Borseux.

Our dreams may come true, despite all circumstances - if we have the courage to pursue them. My work right now has not been remote from what I used to dream of. I’m currently working as a secretary to the executive director of a Singapore-based Genashtim Innovative Learning. I’m doing secretarial job online in the comfort of our own house. My task includes arranging flight and hotel bookings for my boss and his family, maintaining his flight schedules summary, arranging restaurant and other reservations, taking phone calls, doing follow-ups, and performing other administrative tasks for the company. You see, I’m still working in front of the computer. I might not be able to do fancy things anymore, but I’m happy and I love my work.

Majority of the people engaged in Genashtim Innovative Learning are PWDs. We are doing online jobs at home. The company has different projects, which are suitable to people like us. The Abled online, for example, needs some technically skilled personnel and Sir Darling is one of the staffs behind. We also have EPIC online, which requires good English communication skills. Some of the requirements of the company are technical skills, the facility of its employees in good English communication and most of all a PC and stable internet connection at home. Good attitude towards work, patience and determination are the most important ingredients to have a successful career. Genashtim doesn’t employ PWD because he pitied on us, empathized or sympathised with us. They employ us because the management believes in our skills, capabilities and knowledge, and that we can be of great help to company’s success.

Employment opportunity for PWD here in the Philippines is very difficult. The competition is so tough not only for us but also for the abled. Let us not be discouraged. We should have to double our effort and equip ourselves with the necessary tools. Let us continue to develop our capacities. Huge opportunities out there, I believe, are enormous. Your graduation today in this training center is already a big step to success.

In this seeming darkness, life has always been beautiful to me. I may no longer see the colors of this world again, but I know I still can paint colors in the lives of others!
Daghang salamat ug maayong hapon kaninyong tanan!

Composed by: Mariecell M. Fornis
Edited by: Dr. Romel V. Gador

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I only just realized that you have a blog, Mariecell.

Well, as someone who has grown so dependent on you, I need to say a few words.

You are a joy and an inspiration not only to me but to all our colleagues in Genashtim. You have earned every body's respect.

It is not easy to work for a cranky and demanding boss like me, who has a crazy lifestyle, travelling up to 80% of the time. Not many people can even keep track of what I am doing, much less to be supporting me like you do.

You are able to put up with my tantrums, and in fact have a calming effect on me. It is really hard to stay mad at anything or anybody, when talking to you. You are always cheerful, optimistic, and never complain about anything. You accept criticism like a dry sponge, and keep learning.

You are the most beautiful person I know, Mariecell. And you make me a better person.

On top of everything, you are so dedicated to your work. I am so lucky to have you, and so is Genashtim.


Thomas